He Must Increase, I must Decrease
- John's message was moral and religious reform.
- Be fair in business (Luke 3:13).
- Don't abuse power (Luke 3:14).
- Don't be greedy (Luke 3:14).
- Abandon immoral marriages (Mark 6:18).
- Take care of those around you (Luke 3:11).
- He preached a repentance that must be followed by a change in action (Matt. 3:2-10).
- John was successful because:
- He kept a focus on his mission: to prepare people for the coming Christ (Mark 1:2-3; Luke 1:17, 3:4-6).
- He had courage: his message cost him his freedom and his life (Mark 6:19-29).
- He accepted inconveniences and hardships: he gave up the easy lifestyle and went to the people (Matt. 3:3-5).
- He was willing to put aside his will and personal success so Christ could "increase" (John 3:30).
- A sign of spiritual growth is seeing yourself progressively put "yourself" aside so Christ can increase in your life.
Back to Index