THE BURIAL OF CHRIST (I COR. 15:3-4) IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE:
IT WAS A PREDICTED BURIAL.
- By Isaiah (Is. 53:9).
- By Christ (Matt. 16:21).
- This should have helped the Jews and Jesus' disciples understand the role of Christ.
- This should increase our faith in Christ and the Word of God (Is. 59:3 with Matt. 27:57-60).
IT WAS A BORROWED TOMB.
- Jesus put a low priority on material possessions (Matt. 6:33).
- What God provided was the best (a rich man's tomb).
IT WAS A SYMBOLIC TOMB.
- We cannot understand being raised in a new life (Col. 3:1) without understanding our burial in baptism (Col. 2:12, Rom. 6:3-5).
IT WAS A TRANSFORMING TOMB.
- Joseph had been a secret disciple (John 19:38)
- Joseph now had the courage to go to Pilate to ask for the body of Jesus (Luke 23:52) and to go to the cross to take it down (Luke 23:53).
Back to Index