Slip Sliding Away
One of the greatest dangers facing any
Christian is that of drifting away (Heb. 2:1).
Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away. (Heb 2:1 NKJV)
- Drifting is dangerous because it:
- Requires no effort.
- Will not get you upstream.
- Is a gradual process.
- Can be an unconscious process.
- Drifting begins in the heart long before there are signs visible to others (James 1:14-15, Prov. 23:7).
- You are guilty of having a backslider's heart if you:
- Expect less of yourself and have to be increasingly urged to work for the Lord.
- Spend less time reading God's Word (Ps. 1:2, Ps. 119:103, Ps.119: 97).
- Spend less time praying (Luke 18:1, Prov. 15:8).
- Tolerate "little sins" in your life.
- Don't let your heart become numb (Rom. 1:21 ASV, Eph. 4:19, Heb. 6:6)
Back to Index