He Went Away
The Rich Young Ruler went away
from Jesus (Mark 10:17-22).
He went away from the very presence of Jesus.
- It was not the presence of Jesus that would bring about a change, but obedience.
- Today, we must comply with the Scriptures.
He went away with all the knowledge he needed to have eternal life.
- Jesus' instructions to "go" and "sell" and "give" and "follow" were easily understood.
- Today, it is easy to understand that we must believe (Jn. 8:24, I Jn. 3:23), repent (Lk. 13:3, II Cor. 7:10 ASV, Acts 17:30), confess (Matt. 10:32, Rom. 10:9-10), and be baptized (Mk. 16:16, I Peter 3:21 KJV).
He went away admitting the value of following the Lord.
- His sorrow showed he realized he had refused something of greater value.
- Today, when we say we "must make a change," we admit we are not right with God and we know what we need to do.
He went away with the ability to be what he should be.
- Jesus did not ask the man to do anything he could not do.
- Today, people can--but will not.
Back to Index